#GlobalNews: “2 more suspected cases of Ebola identified in Congo say health experts – National”

Advertisements:

Health experts have identified two more suspected cases of Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo, a day after the government declared an outbreak of the disease that has killed one man, the U.N. health agency said on Saturday.

Government and World Health Organization (WHO) officials reached a remote area of Bas-Uele province in northeastern Congo near the border with Central African Republic on Saturday for a field investigation, WHO said.

WATCH: Corpse in Sierra Leone tests positive for Ebola a day after West Africa declared virus free





Experts say to prevent the spread of the virus they must quickly track down, test, isolate and treat suspected cases. They also need to protect health workers and educate the population about hygiene measures.

“The first case and possibly the index case, a 39-year-old male, presented onset of symptoms on 22 April, 2017, and deceased on arrival at the health facility,” a WHO statement said.


READ MORE:
Canadian vaccine for Ebola deemed highly effective in clinical trials

“Two contacts of this case are being investigated: a person who took care of him during transport to the health care facility, he has since developed similar symptoms, and a moto-taxi driver who transported the patient to the health care facility,” it said, adding that the taxi driver had died.

In addition, two more people in the area have been identified as suspected cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 11, WHO’s Congo spokesman Eugene Kabambi told Reuters. Three of them have died of fever.

WATCH: Here’s how hard Zika virus hit Canadian tourists last year





The worst outbreak of Ebola killed more than 11,300 people in the West African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia and infected more than 28,000. It peaked in late 2014 causing global alarm but active virus transmission ended last year.

The latest Ebola outbreak is Congo’s eighth, the most of any country. The deadly hemorrhagic fever was first detected in its dense tropical forests in 1976 and named after the nearby river Ebola.


READ MORE:
Winnipeg lab employee potentially exposed to Ebola virus

That experience helped Congolese authorities respond effectively to an outbreak in 2014 that killed dozens of people.

The GAVI global vaccine alliance said on Friday some 300,000 emergency doses of an Ebola vaccine developed by Merck could be available in case of a large-scale outbreak and that it stood ready to support the Congo government on the matter.

Note: “Previously Published on: 13 May 2017 | 1:30 pm, as ‘2 more suspected cases of Ebola identified in Congo say health experts – National’ on GLOBALNEWS CANADA. Here is a source link for the Article’s Image(s) and Content”.

Advertisements:
Global News Canada

Copyright © 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc. Corus News. All rights reserved. Distributed by PressOcean Global Media (pressocean.com). Contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material... Articles and commentaries that identify PressOcean.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by PressOcean. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

0 Comments

No comments!

There are no comments yet, but you can be first to comment this article.

Leave reply

Only registered users can comment.