#GlobalNews: « ‘Proud Boys’ return to active military duty, face no criminal charges »
Four of the five members of the Canadian Armed Forces who disrupted a Mi’kmaq ceremony in Halifax are set to return to their regular duties, according to a statement from the military.
One of the five members has since left the military.
Rear-Admiral John Newton, Commander, Joint Task Force Atlantic and Maritime Forces Atlantic, issued the statement on Thursday.
“The investigation has now been completed, and no criminal charges will be laid,” wrote Newton in the statement.
“Any further inappropriate behavior could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces.”
This will be one of Newtown’s final acts as Commander of Maritime Forces Atlantic, he’s set to take a new position next week with Veterans Affairs Canada in Charlottetown, P.E.I.
He has previously apologized for the actions of the five members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
“I just told the young people that they had crossed a line where their personal beliefs, their personal ideology which they’re allowed to have, got into the public domain,” Newton said during a press conference in July.
“In fact, their personal beliefs whether it’s religious, about political or whether it’s even white supremacy, whatever the ‘Proud Boys’ represent is not a shared value of the Canadian Armed Forces.”
The five men represented the navy and at least one member was part of the Canadian Army.
I encourage you to read RAdm Newton’s statement concerning the Proud Boys bit.ly/2xPqnhA https://t.co/Iu13Fh2yZs—
CDS Canada CEMD (@CDS_Canada_CEMD) August 31, 2017
Disruption and reaction
The five men, who said they were associated with “The Proud Boys, Martime chapter,” were filmed during an encounter at a ceremony to mourn the atrocities committed against Indigenous Peoples by Edward Cornwallis.
Cornwallis, as governor of Nova Scotia, founded Halifax in 1749 and soon after, issued a bounty on Mi’kmaq scalps in response to an attack on colonists.
One of the men carried a Red Ensign, which was the national flag until it was replaced by the Maple Leaf in 1965.
The incident was condmened by government officials and Canada’s top military official.
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said in a Facebook post he had been made aware of the incident and stressed that “this kind of behaviour is not tolerated in the Canadian Armed Forces.”
Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance also issued a statement calling the incident in Halifax “deplorable.”
“Canadians should rest assured my senior leadership is seized of the matter,” Vance said. “The members involved will be removed from training and duties while we conduct an investigation and review the circumstances. Their future in the military is certainly in doubt.
“I expect better.”
The Proud Boys
In a blog post on their website, the Proud Boys describe themselves as a “fraternal organization of Western Chauvinists who will no longer apologize for creating the modern world.”
They are in favour of minimal government, against political correctness and the war on drugs, pro-free speech, against “racial guilt” and wish to “glorify the entrepreneur” and “venerate the housewife.”
The same post notes that they do not discriminate based upon race or sexuality.
“The West is the Best,” says the author in the same paragraph.
— With files from Leslie Young and Sean Previl
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Note: « Previously Published on: 31 August 2017 | 2:52 pm, as ‘‘Proud Boys’ return to active military duty, face no criminal charges’ on GLOBALNEWS CANADA. Here is a source link for the Article’s Image(s) and Content ».