Here’s a quick breakdown some of the steps our Liberal government is taking to help Canadians get through this together.
Here’s a quick update.
We are all adapting to big new changes in our daily lives to keep each other safe from COVID-19, and so many Canadian families, workers, and businesses face real concerns about making ends meet. That’s why Justin Trudeau and the Liberal government are taking strong action to ensure that you and your loved ones are supported through this difficult time.
Here’s a quick breakdown some of the steps our Liberal government is taking to help Canadians get through this together:
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy:
- A 75% wage subsidy available for businesses, big and small, that are not publicly funded and have seen a 30% or more decline in gross revenues. That includes everything from bars and restaurants, to charities and non-profits. Applications will soon open through CRA.
Canada Emergency Response Benefit:
Guaranteed loans available to support businesses of all sizes:
$2 billion to support diagnostic testing, and purchase ventilators and personal protective equipment:
- Personal protective equipment includes things like more masks and face shields, gowns, and hand sanitizer.
$275 million to quickly mobilize Canadian researchers and life sciences companies:
- To support large-scale efforts towards medical countermeasures to combat COVID-19, including potential vaccines and treatments.
New funding and measures to support our most vulnerable people and communities:
- Including crucial funding for Canadians experiencing homelessness, children and young people, and seniors impacted by COVID-19.
And much more. See more of our updates here.
The health, safety, and well-being of Canadians is always our top priority. I’m deeply grateful for the sacrifices and hard work that so many of you are taking on to keep your families, neighbours, and communities safe.
It will take all of us doing our part to stop the spread of COVID-19 and support those in need, and I know that’s exactly how we will get through this – together.
And as always, for the latest details on stopping the spread of COVID-19 and Canada’s whole-of-government response, you can also check out Canada.ca/Coronavirus.
All my best,
National Director, Liberal Party of Canada
* This page was updated on April 6, 2020, to reflect the beginning of applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit and on April 15, 2020, to reflect expanded eligibility.