July 8, 2020
Throughout this pandemic, Justin Trudeau and the Liberal government have been working hard to make sure you and your family are safe and supported during this challenging time.
The fiscal snapshot presented by Bill Morneau today highlights how Justin Trudeau and the Liberal government have been able to stabilize the economy and keep Canadians supported.
This support is the largest peacetime investment in Canada’s history, and has allowed millions of Canadian families and businesses to keep receiving income during a time of uncertainty.
Here are few highlights of how Canadian families, workers, and small businesses are being supported, by the numbers:
- More than 8.16 million people have received support from the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, providing $2,000 a month to Canadians who have lost their income due to COVID-19.
- 3.7 million Canadian families received a special one-time $300 top-up of the Canada Child Benefit for each child (and the Canada Child Benefit is increasing again this month to help with the high costs of raising kids).
- 3 million employees have been supported by the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, by helping them stay in the workforce or return to work.
- 12 million low and modest income individuals and families received a special one-time payment through the GST credit. On average, single adults received $400 in additional benefits, and couples almost $600.
- More than 600,000 students have received the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, providing $1,250 per month for eligible students (and $2,000 per month to those with dependents or a disability).
- 6.7 million seniors are receiving a one-time tax-free payment of $300, and those who are also eligible for the GIS are also receiving an additional $200.
- More than 688,000 applicants have been approved for the Canada Emergency Business Account, to help ensure small businesses can keep our economy strong through this difficult time.
The health and safety of Canadians is our top priority. As our economy gradually and safely reopens, our Liberal government will continue to ensure that Canadians have the support they need.
We’ll get through this together — and as Justin Trudeau has said, you can be sure that our country will come roaring back.
For the latest details on stopping the spread of COVID-19 and Canada’s whole-of-government response, you can also check out Canada.ca/Coronavirus.
Thank you for your support and wishing you and your loved ones all the best,
– Liberal Party of Canada
[ NOTE: All figures updated as of early July, 2020. The Government of Canada’s Fiscal Snapshot was presented on July 8, 2020 ]